Most Healthy Life breads provide either a good source of fiber or an excellent source of fiber.
- Varieties which contain an Excellent Source of Fiber have at least 5 grams of dietary fiber per 50 grams of bread or at least 20% of the daily recommended amount.
- Varieties which contain a Good Source of Fiber have at least 2.5 grams of fiber per 50 grams of bread or 10-19% of the daily recommended amount.
Recommended Amounts of Fiber
According to the USDA 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the adequate intake (AI) for fiber is 14g per 1,000 caloriess, or about 25g per day for women and 38g per day for men.3
The chart below summarizes the AI of fiber by age and gender:
|Fiber Recommendations by Age and Sex||Population Daily Fiber Recommendation|
|Children ages 1-3 years old||19 grams|
|Children ages 4-8 years old||25 grams|
|Young boys ages 9-13 years old||31 grams|
|Young girls ages 9-13 years old||26 grams|
|Teenage boys ages 14-18 years old||38 grams|
|Teenage girls ages 14-18 years old||26 grams|
|Young and adult men ages 14-50 years old||38 grams|
|Young and adult women ages 14-50 years old||25 grams|
|Men ages 50 years and older||30 grams|
|Women ages 50 years and older||21 grams|
Chart adapted from: Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes: Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids. Washington, DC, National Academies Press, 20023
- Most Americans consume about half of the recommended amount of fiber, as the usual intake averages only 15g per day.1,2,3
- Nutrition Facts panels on food packaging use 25g of dietary fiber per day for a 2,000 calorie diet and 30g of fiber per day for a 2,500 calorie diet for goals for American intake.2
- International Food Information Council Foundation (IFIC). “Fiber Fact Sheet” 11/24/2008 http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=Fiber_Fact_Sheet
- American Dietetic Association. “Position of the American Dietetic Association: Health Implications of Dietary Fiber” – Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2008;108:1716-1731 http://www.eatright.org/WorkArea//DownloadAsset.aspx?id=8442
- U.S. Department of Agriculture & U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. December 2010 http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2010.asp